Friday, December 02, 2005

CAT scan

Today didn't begin very well. I used Mr C's keys to open the door and left them in the lock as we went out. Not knowing this, and thinking I had taken them out, Mr C shut the door, locking us out. I had my keys with me but obviously they wouldn't work as the other keys were still in the lock on the other side. So, panic ensued, but I had to go to catch the train. Mr C waited til the estate agents opened and got a spare set of keys and got in through the back door and all was well.

Meanwhile, I got the train, which then became very delayed, and I missed my slot for my CT scan. I had to go and have a CT scan because the consultant hasn't been able to see my replacement valve very well on the echocardiograms I've been having. This is because of the position of my heart/the valve I think. At first she sent me for an MRI scan, but this was not a success - see previous entry. So, she scheduled the CT scan for today. Anyway, they fitted me in. My pulse was a bit fast (probably due to me being scared), so I had half a sedative, and then went for the Echo while it kicked in. Then I went back to the CT scanning place.

The CT scan is a lot better and less scary than an MRI scan. I probably would have been fine and not fussed at all, apart from the fact that I had to have a drip in my hand through which they injected dye to show up the arteries and vessels. I hate needles. It wasn't pretty. The consultant radiographer (who put in the drip) was great and just told me to stop whinging. I'm serious about him being great by the way! It took two attempts to get the drip in - I have very small and uncooperative veins. Anyway, the scan itself was fine, although my hand hurt and I was still scared, but I could see the radiographers in their little room, so that made me feel more reassured. They got some could pictures, which was the main thing.

After the scan, I went to see the consultant. It was my last appointment with her, as she is retiring at Christmas. She was pleased with the pictures. They show that the valve is narrowing slightly, but it's not bad enough to need treatment at the moment. I will just go for yearly appointments again now, and have it kept an eye on. She said I'm ok to go on long haul flights, which was a relief - thought I'd better check before the honeymoon!

After I'd finished at the hospital, I went back into London. I had an appointment with a student from UCL, who is doing a study about how people with long term medical conditions cope (or not), and why some people cope better than others. The study is focussing on people with Primary Ciliary Dyskinesia (PCD), which I have. It was interesting to take part in the study. Basically I just had to be interviewed about how having PCD may have affected my life, and the lives of my family. I'm not sure how representative I am, as my symptoms are not very severe now. They were more so when I was a child, so I was able to talk about how it affected my childhood. Because I have/had other medical conditions, such as the 'heart thing' it was tricky to separate out the effects of the PCD as opposed to anything else. Hopefully I was of some use.

The train on the way back was also delayed. I am very tired from everything today.

No comments: