Saturday, December 10, 2005

Tete a Tete

I finally managed to attend a Tete a Tete session at CCJ on Tuesday. I have been very remiss in not attending any before. My excuse is that I don't live in London, and they're held on a Tuesday evening, so it can be difficult to get there. This week, we had a committee meeting beforehand, so I went and combined the two. I was late leaving work because I got asked questions at the last minute, even as I was walking out of the office in my coat, and consequently missed the train I was aiming for. I was going to be late even if I had got the train, so I wasn't sure whether to go or not, but phoned Louise, and decided to go and stay for Tete a Tete.

On the way to CCJ I managed to slip over on Victoria Station (should I sue?!) and now have some great bruises, to go with the one still on my hand from the CAT scan drip. Nice. I was already cross due to (a) being late, and (b) having to queue to exchange my ticket bought on the train for a Travelcard, so (c) falling over was the final straw. Anyway, I made it in the end, for about 15 minutes of the meeting!

Glad I went though as T a T was good. We were talking about taking texts out of context. We looked at a variety of text including one by Roland Barthes, one from Isaiah, one from Mark's Gospel and a parody addressed to Jerry Falwell. Bizarre mix, but all good for the brain. It's really easy to let your brain go rusty, as it were. Although I do have to think about things in my work, it's not the same kind of thinking as the sort of thinking we were doing on Tuesday night, which was of a more philosophical nature I suppose. In a way I think I prefer that kind rather than the day to day kind, which seems more complex. I suppose this is because at work I'm dealing with real people rather than concepts or ideas, and people are unpredicatable and complicated in way that even the most complex idea isn't. Am I making sense? I do wonder.

This week at work was not so good. Mainly because of one incident, which I am doubtless overreacting to. Sometimes one bad thing just overshadows everything else and weighs me down. Basically I was told I should do something, did it, and then was criticised (by someone other than the person who told me to do it) for doing it and for how I'd done it. It wasn't major, but it just reinforced my opinion that I am bad at my job. My lovely team were sympathetic and agreed that you can't do anything without your head being bitten off by someone or other. The place is a hive of mis-communication. I am trying to address my part in the hive, and it's hard work. So, Wednesday night I was not happy, and was still not happy on Thursday morning. It's unusual for bad mood to carry over to the next day. Thursday was better though, and then it was Friday (no way!), and now it's the weekend...but I have a feeling Monday will involve more (mis/non)communication-related stress. It's not my fault I tell you! (But sometimes I feel like it is).

No comments: