Sunday, September 17, 2006

How do you solve a problem like Maria?

Well, it was finally the final of How do you solve a problem like Maria? last night. In case you didn't know, Connie won, and deservedly so, I think. As she said herself, she was consistent all the way through the competition. She really drew me in to her performances, and made me feel the most emotional, especially last night, when she sang As long as he needs me, a song she doesn't like, apparently! She seems to have the stamina and professionalism to play the role. Also, I think she wanted it the most out of all the would-be Marias. She had been auditioning for West End shows for a long time, and always coming second, so it was nice to think that she will now achieve her dream and not have to go back to tele-sales!

I thought Helena was great as well, though. Her performance of Do-Re-Mi was brilliant. Siobhan has a lovely sweet voice and she is very beautiful, but I think the panel were right in saying that maybe she wasn't yet ready for such a big role.

I thoroughly enjoyed watching all the 'episodes' that I watched, although I did take issue with some of the things they made the girls do. They seemed to have to sing a lot of non-musical theatre songs, which seemed a bit silly given that they were in competition for a role in a musical theatre production and not auditioning for Pop Idol. They also had to do an assault course one week, which I thought was particularly stupid. It was ostensibly to test their stamina, but completing an assault course in the fastest time doesn't mean that you're going to be able to perform in a musical eight times a week, as that involves a different kind of stamina. I was also a bit worried that the public wouldn't make the right choice. I think ALW took a massive risk when he decided to find 'Maria' using this method, but he certainly got his show a lot of publicity, and I think and hope that Connie will be able to pull off the role.