Thursday, March 30, 2006

Film 2006

Today we had the discussion about me not having watched various classic films, which is now a standard office conversation. I don't know how I did it, but I managed to grow up without watching ET, any of the original Star Wars trilogy all the way through, Close Encounters of the Third Kind, any of the Jaws films, etc. Maybe I just missed all the Spielberg ones! No, that's not true because I have seen all three Indiana Jones films, Schindler's List and...hmm that's about it. (Not for all the films I've seen, just for the Spielberg ones.)

Anyway, S says I have to go and watch them round her house one day. This discussion stemmed from one I started about which film was people's least favourite, and then which was people's favourite. S's least favourite was Journey to Shiloh, an early Harrison Ford movie about the American Civil War, which also starred James Caan apparently. E went for Pearl Harbor [sic], which is probably on a lot of people's list of least favourite/worst films. Needless to say, I haven't seen either!

Today I spent some time (not work time of course) looking at the Hitch Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy pages on the BBC website. This particular site, known as h2g2, is a guide created by members of the public. You can log in as a 'researcher' and write your own guide entry. There are loads of entries about anything and everything. I'm planning to write some on various obscure/not so obscure medical conditions, but a lot of the entries are much more light-hearted. For example, there is one about "The Mystery of the Sweet Potato".

Hmm it is late, time for bed.

No comments: