Thursday, March 09, 2006

Wedding and work

So, the wedding has now taken place! Here is a summary of events:

It was a lovely day, weatherwise and everything else. We were very blessed with the weather, as the days either side of our wedding day were quite grey and damp. Was I nervous? Well, I had a 'slight' panicky phase at about 2.30 am on the morning of the wedding, but I put on some music and got back to sleep after a while. I was fine thereafter until I walked into the church and saw everyone in the congregation, and then I felt really overwhelmed and quite emotional. I didn't cry really, but tears escaped and my nose ran (and continued to do so for most of the service, quite amusingly - I had to surreptitiously get a tissue from Helen and pass it to my dad to keep in his pocket!). I think the overriding feeling of the day for me was that I felt really loved. People came a long way for the wedding - my aunt from Australia, A's parents from Malaysia and friends and family from all over the UK.

The service went well, despite some small amusing incidents like me having to force the ring onto A's finger, A's grandad (who was doubling as the vicar) dropping his prayers and also going to the wrong way for the signing of the register! But we said our vows ok, signed in the right places and enjoyed it. We had lots of photographs taken outside the church, and a few inside. The flowers were lovely. We had dark pink (almost red) and cream roses, and thistles (blue). Helen was a great bridesmaid and looked really good in her blue dress. The flower guild ladies did a great job in the church - we had a pedestal and pew-ends. Our next-door neighbour also did some arrangements for the top table at the reception, which were really nice.

It was good to see everyone at the reception - we tried to speak to everyone by going round all the tables. The catering was excellent - we had chicken and mango salad, beef bourginoine (sp?), and vegetable canalloni and various accompanying salads. For pudding we had pavlova, banoffee pie and fruit crumble. We had cordials and elderflower champagne for drinks. Dad, Adrian (the best man) and A were all quite nervous about doing their speeches, but they were all good. A got off quite lightly in the best man's speech! We had lots of balloons in pink, gold and blue. Dave's son Luka's toy cat got tied onto some and floated about balanced with jelly beans so he didn't float up to the ceiling. Phew.

We had lots of chats with lots of people - shame we didn't have more time with each person/group. The time seemed to go by really quickly. We've had some good photos already, from A's mum and dad and Elle.

Since I went back to work on Monday it seems like a long time ago - even the honeymoon seems like it happened in another world. I guesss that's what going back to work does - back to reality! Still it hasn't been too bad going back. It was nice to see everyone again. Nothing much had happened while I was away. At least that's what I was told...but then I found out that our team has a new line manager! It turns out the people who said nothing much had happened hadn't been listening in one of the meetings they had while I was away! It's good really - we have been line-manager-less for a while, which hasn't been ideal.

And also...we had doughuts.

No comments: