Tuesday, August 15, 2006

Noise

Today I was doing some training for new Issue Desk staff and my colleagues in the adjoining office were so noisy that I had to shut the door. I'm not sure what they were doing, but they were louder than usual - or maybe I just noticed it more because I was trying to explain things to someone.

Now I'm on my lunch break and being annoyed by children outside my window making lots of noise. Gosh, I am beginning to sound like a cantankerous, miserable old librarian. Oh, hang on... Scrap the old, though (for now).

I am having an annoyed day for some reason. I think it may be because I had a meeting with the Sharks this morning. Such meetings, I feel, are always predestined to be irritating due to (a) the subject matter, and (b) who attends them. Having said that, today's meeting wasn't too bad, and we did (potentially) get a new shelver out of it, so I can't really complain. I just approach the meetings with a feeling of dread because most of the time I don't win, and I end up having to go back to other library staff and tell them that this or that permission has been taken away, or they're going to have more work to do, or something else that's not very good.

Yesterday, I had a meeting with a senior member of staff. I waited for five minutes, and then ten minutes, and then I went back to my office. At 35 minutes past the hour I telephoned her. I think she had forgotten, but she did say we could meet then (wow, such generosity) and we did sort out the issue in question.

I feel like there are not enough hours in the day, and not enough days in this week to fit everything into. But I'm sure it will be ok in the end.

Whenever I sing Can't help lovin' that man in my head, I always get the words the wrong way round and end up with swimming birds and flying fish.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sorry... I'll try to be vewwy vewwy quiet in future.

Lilian said...

I feel like such a mean librarian! (=

Anonymous said...

D'oh! I wasn't very quiet today either, was I? Oops.

Lilian said...

If you were quiet I would be worried! ( =