Monday, June 05, 2006

Monday, Monday

Today at work was quite Mondayish.

New experiences are on the horizon. I am going to have training in recruitment and selection next week, and then I'm going to be helping recruit and select new desk staff. I am a bit scared, as it is not something I have ever done before, but it will be really good experience and interesting, I expect. Hopefully I will feel more confident once I have had the training.

The Big Boss is currently thinking about how jobs in our team are going to be redistributed once the integration has happened. He told me about his ideas so far, which sound reasonable. I'm going to a meeting about it on Wednesday with the Librarians. This is good as at least I will be able to imput into the decision making process (aghh management-squeak alert) on behalf of the team. D, if you are reading this, yes he did say we would all meet as a team to discuss the plans before anything is definitely decided!

I hope I'm never going to turn into a manager who uses management words (although I fear I probably already use them, and I'm not even a real manager). When I was doing my library course I was really against learning about management because I wanted to be a traditional librarian (whatever one of those is - probably non-existent!). However, we had to take management as a core course, and despite my protestations it actually became my favourite module, mainly because the lecturer was excellent. It also gave me my best marks, which helped me like it I suppose! I enjoyed the psychology side of it, but I still hate the language and the thing about seeing people as resources and treating them accordingly. I know people are a resource, in the sense that they are necessary to the workings of an organisation, but they're not a resource like a computer or a table. This may sound obvious to you, but I don't think it is so evident to some people in the higher echelons of some organisations. [NB this does not refer to the organisations I currently work in. I refer to my envelope opening days only].

Please don't sack me I like my job. I just learnt how to spell echelon. I am so pleased.



1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Interesting site. Useful information. Bookmarked.
»