Friday, June 09, 2006

Training

I've been on a couple of training courses in the past few days. The first thing was on Wednesday evening, when I went to the Preparing for Chartership course held at CILIP HQ in London. It was a bit of a pain that it was in the evening, after work and therefore at a tiring time of the day, but I got the train and found the venue ok. I had some trouble with escalators on the Untergrund (U-Bahn). This often happens, mainly on down escalators. I think it's to do with vertigo, which I don't have when I'm on/in tall buildings, but do on stairs without handrails (can't do them), and escalators. Weird. Anyway, fortunately, there were also some stairs (avec handrail), which isn't always the case, so I got to where I had to go.

For a full report of the chartership training please see my notebook. Oops sorry you can't do that, so please see my chartership blog. I started it on a different blog hosting thing because I wanted to be able to keep some bits private, in case I had to say bad things about anyone. Not really, it was more because I might want to mention people by name so that I can remember what on earth I was doing at the time, and I don't really like doing that when other people can read it. As far as I know there is no privacy function on Blogger. If you know differently please let me know! The other blog will (hopefully) act as a diary to record events, training, incidents. meetings etc relevant to the chartership process and also be somewhere where I can write my reflections on these things (which, as I learned on Wednesday, is a very important part of the process).

Regarding the course, the gist is that it was very useful and I'm glad I went.

The other training was yesterday, which was in-house training on recruitment and selection. This was also very worth while. The course leaders did well to make the subject less dry than it might have been, and it was definitely useful given the current changes happening within the library here. I will write a more detailed report about it in the chartership blog soon (I hope).

Blogger seems to be working ok again, so I will try and reload Bob tonight!

No comments: