Thursday, July 20, 2006

Meanwhile, in the Library of Doom...

We are moving offices imminently, i.e. tomorrow, so there has been quite an "aggghhhhh!" sort of feel in the air this week. Especially as previously we were told that we wouldn't be moving until the end of the month, for which we had a Plan (A), and now we're moving tomorrow and have a Plan (B), which was only thought of yesterday.

We thought our Plan (A) was perfectly acceptable - we had even discussed it, and I'd gone to the extremes of doing a statistical analysis thingy in order to be able to justify our decision. But, alas, Plan A was not to be. I had a meeting with the Sharks yesterday and told them Plan A, and lo, the Sharks were not happy with said Plan. Yea, they did beseech me to change yon Plan, and therefore did I become most unhappy, and didst say unto them: Wherefore ist this plan not good? And they did say unto me: didst thee think it through most carefully, and I did say: yea, I didst. Aber jezt was das Plan nicht recht, und so sagte ich, "Was mochten sie? Warum konnen sie nicht es zu mir sagen?" Und sie sagten: "Es ist nicht was wir wunschen, aber was besten fur das Bibliothek ist. And so, she wondered what to do. She wandered into the library, and went to visit the office of one of the Sharks. She pondered hard but was none the wiser, so she thought, I will try to accomodate the wishes of the Sharks. She thought on this and discussed with several people. And so Plan B came into being. And she wasn't sure that it was good.

Not sure what happened there. The German is schlecht (terrible) by the way. My apologies to anyone reading this who knows, or (double apologies) is, German.

Anyway, after persuasion I did try and get Plan A back, but to no avail. I'm sure reading Riddley Walker is doing bad things to my spelling. It's slow going but very interesting and intriguing and inciting me to read more things by Russell Hoban. I only put that last one in because I wanted to use another word beginning with 'in', and I couldn't think of anything else. It is true though. RW definitely reminds me of a couple of sections of Cloud Atlas "Sloosha's crossin' and evr'ythin' after", especially the sort of language used, as well as some of the ideas. Maybe David Mitchell read it at some point, and used it as inspiration for that part of his book.

I wonder if it is dangerous to write about the Library of Doom? It might come and bite me (not literally).

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You should be safe posting about the Library of Doom, I would have thought. After all,I'm the only other person who knows that the library in question goes under that name... As long as you don't post slander, that is!