Thursday, July 27, 2006

Teach First, acquire manners later?

Today, I went shelving several times, which is good for me as I think I've probably only done about 6 hours shelving in the year and a bit since I've been working at the Library of Doom (apologies colleagues). My first attempt was fairly successful, i.e. I could see desk space where there had only been books before, but I did have a minor incident involving me bleeding over some books, myself and the shelving trolley due to a particularly vicious social work book. Two more attempts followed and more table space appeared (hooray!), but then more books arrived...

Anyway, I must get to the point of this entry...

I was getting rid of some 700s, trying to squeeze them into L-space, when some young men came by, talking loudly, so I asked them to please be quiet and they did reduce the volume, but also thought it was amusing and worthy of a mocking "shhhh". This is quite normal student behaviour, but it was made worse by the fact that the young men in question are Teach First students, and thus are supposed to be 'the cream' of British graduates and 'academic' - so you would think that they would appreciate and respect their library staff. I should have known better I suppose. I may be being over sensitive (as I often am), but it worries me that people who are supposed to make excellent teachers and set an example to children and young people have such a lack of respect for library staff. Their motto (yes, they have a motto) is "learning to lead". I'm not sure whether this is the kind of person I would want my children (if I had any) to follow.

I suspect my ranting might sound like an over-reaction, but I think you can tell a lot about a person, student or otherwise, by the way they treat library staff. But then I would say that.

No comments: