Sunday, May 07, 2006

Another Sunday

Which means, alas, that it is nearly Monday. But that's ok. I don't hate my work. Of course, things annoy me, but it could be a lot worse.

Last week was quite exciting, because the new desk was finally finished and up and running. At present we are at the "co-location" stage, as opposed to full integration, so library and computing people are working side by side on the desk, but not together as such. Does that make sense? That's what we wondered. It's working, but we felt a bit sorry for the computing people, who weren't introduced to anyone and had no idea who we are, who does what and how our rotas work. They only have slightly more idea now, thanks to library staff introducing themselves when they had the chance, and an 'impromptu' chocolate sharing session in our office. I expect the communication side of things will get better. Hopefully the computing people will get some sort of induction soon.

Meanwhile, still no news on what is going to happen to RS - how jobs are going to be divided up etc - or how they are going to work the staffing situation. It would be nice for those that applied to new jobs to actually know officially whether they have been accepted or not. We always seem to be waiting for information. Communication is not the institution's strong point. Or rather, it's not the strong point of the people in it, I expect the institution is crying out to communicate...but what could it be saying?!

I am getting a bit fed up of people thinking that I know all the answers to problems that have nothing to do with me, and the people in question should be asking management staff, whose job it is to sort these particular things out! Maybe I am just the nearest 'management' person, even though I am not a manager at all! In theory, I just "oversee" the office. This is according to my job description, which is not realistic anymore, however. Maybe I have missed something?

Mr C has disappeared into the attic. Hopefully he will be back in time for tea. I don't know what I'm going to make...

Must get back to Hebrew soon. I have probably forgotten everything I learnt before. Aggh.

No comments: