Friday, May 19, 2006

Webbing

Yesterday was full of annoying people, disputing fines, loans etc. Also a meeting about library documentation and webpages. I went on a course about authoring university web pages on Tuesday, which was interesting and useful. Learning how to use FrontPage. I think I might buy it to put on my own computer, but it will depend on how much it is. We're re-designing the library web pages at the moment, because the uni web pages are now created to a new template, and our pages aren't in the new template yet. Apparently we have 363 pages of stuff on our current site, so some (lots) of this needs to go! Lots of it is duplicae information, so we can get rid of it. I'm looking forward to getting the new site up and running - it will look a lot better and hopefully be much easier to use. This week we just looked at the main headings for the homepages - the side menu headings and the short cut links. We're hoping to have images for the short cut links. It was actually quite difficult to decide what to have as the main menu headings, and as the quick links. Some things were obvious, but it was hard not want to put everything as either a quick link or a menu heading!

It's quite a slow process, and we don't really have very long to do it, given the amount of work there is to do. The site has to be up and running by September, when the new academic year begins. I have the second and last session of the course this coming week. I think I'm the only person in the group that has edited a page in the new template (even if the page was only a trainng page), so I had better pay attention! I think some others in the group have done more web editing in general though, so hopefully between us we should be ok.

No plans yet for this weekend, apart from the usual housework excitement. Currently watching Season 3 of 24.

No comments: